CAS Master Teachers
Over the last 30 months the CAS Master Teacher programme has grown to nearly 400 teachers. From September 2015 the Network will be organised through a number of CAS Regional Centres who will organise and manage the various CPD opportunities in their region. This will include the work of new (and existing) Master Teachers.
The ethos of the CAS Master Teacher programme is simple. Experienced, high performing classroom teachers, with the full support of their Head Teacher, are made enabled to support other teachers of Computing in their local area. This support may take the form of low-cost training sessions and other mentoring and coaching opportunities. Such support forms an essential part of developing a community of professional practice, alongside the other activities initiated by local CAS Hubs and our University partners in the Network of Excellence. As well as the subject and pedagogical knowledge CAS Master Teachers help develop, a key part of the role is building a supportive relationship, based on mutual trust amongst colleagues.
What characterizes all Master Teachers is a passion for the subject, enthusiasm, energy and active involvement in CAS activities. Not everyone is a subject expert when they start, but all are respected classroom practitioners. Master Teachers are, first and foremost, teachers.
Master Teacher Terms and Conditions
The following are the terms and conditions all Master Teachers need to agree to (from September 2015) in order to remain a Master Teacher:
- Build, and actively contribute to, a community of practice in my locale. Specifically, I understand that I am expected to work with other partners in my local CAS hub network, which includes schools and my CAS Regional Centre
- Provide training and support to meet local need and demand for teachers of Computing, and to be professional in all dealings with those requiring support and help
- Share all resources used during CPD events with the CAS community on CAS Online (using a Creative Commons licence)
- Comply with CAS guidance when working with external organisations
- Complete an audit of relevant and related activity each term
- Attend one day of Master Teacher orientation each year
More information and application
- We are currently not accepting any new Master Teacher applications.
- For more information: contact the Network of Excellence Admin Team (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Find your nearest CAS Master Teacher
- Examples and news of what some of the Master Teachers have been doing